The Muscle Disease Unit provides a specialist service for people with muscle wasting conditions living in Greater Manchester. We also see patients with certain rare diseases from further afield.
We provide expert multi-disciplinary specialist opinions and treatments for adults with:
- Complex and undiagnosed muscle disorders
- Muscular dystrophies (e.g. Becker dystrophy)
- Myotonic dystrophy
- Inflammatory muscle diseases (e.g. Inclusion body myositis)
- Metabolic myopathies (e.g. McArdle disease, Pompe disease – includes enzyme replacement service)
- Spinal muscular atrophy (including delivery of Nusinersen via the NHS England Managed Access Agreement)
- Mitochondrial disorders
- Patients transitioning from paediatric to adult care
Patients attending the muscle service will receive an expert opinion and their condition. Neurophysiology (NCS/EMG) can sometimes be performed on the same day if required. Further investigations will be arranged as necessary, and ongoing management of your condition will be discussed.
We generally take referrals from other specialists, especially those in general neurology and rheumatology, via the usual referral pathways. In some instances, direct referral from the GP can be accepted. Special funding arrangements may be required for those living outside of Greater Manchester.
Please contact our secretary and co-ordinator for further information:
- Nichelle Hookway
- Tel: 0161 206 2010
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Muscle Disease Unit includes a broad complement of experienced neurologists, specialist nurses, and other colleagues working both at Salford and at other centres accross the North West:
- Neurologists (Prof. Mark Roberts, Dr James Lilleker, Dr Tamas Cseh)
- Nurse Specialist and Care Advisor (Phill Kelly)
- Neurophysiologists (Dr Ronan Macdonagh, Dr Ranjit Ramdasss)
- Neuropathologists (Prof. Federico Roncaroli, Dr Daniel DuPlessis)
- Metabolic medicine (Dr Reena Sharma, Dr Ana Jovanovic, Dr Georgetta Fanea)
- Rheumatologists (Prof. Hector Chinoy – joint myositis clinic with Dr James Lilleker)
- Paediatricians at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital (Lead: Dr Imelda Hughes) and The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry (Lead: Prof. Tracey Willis)
- Respiratory medicine and the Long-Term Ventilation Service at University Hospital of South Manchester (Lead: Dr Andrew Bentley)
- Geneticists at St. Marys Hospital (Dr Catherine Breen, Dr Audrey Smith)
We have collaborative links with other neuromuscular centres, both in the UK (particularly in Newcastle and London) and internationally. We are active members of the North West Adult and Paediatric Neuromuscular Network.