Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)


Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is a confidential service that provides help, advice and information for patients, families and carers covering Fairfield General Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary and Salford Royal Hospital. 

If you would like to tell us about your experience, give thanks or comment on what we did well, please use this contact form.

Alternatively, you might like to publish your feedback or leave a review of our services on the NHS Choices website.

PALS is here to:

  • Help our patients and families find answers to questions or concerns regarding their care or treatment.
  • Provide patients and carers with information, advice or support.
  • Help to resolve concerns quickly by liaising with staff and managers.
  • Refer our patients and carers on to external agencies or specialist advocacy services, where this is appropriate.

PALS seeks to promote the importance of listening to patient enquiries and concerns. To support this, the PALS team work closely with staff who have direct contact with patients, their families and carers, providing help and information and will try to address any issues of concern.

Understanding the Health Service and all its complexities can be daunting and finding answers can sometimes be difficult. 

The care you receive will not be adversely affected by speaking to PALS or raising a complaint.  

What to do first

If you have a problem or issue relating to your clinical care and treatment now, you should always talk to your Consultant, nurse or other staff in the ward/department/clinic. They are the best people to help deal with current problems. PALS can then be contacted if they cannot resolve the problem for you.

Services provided by PALS

  • The PALS team can provide you with information, confidential advice about the Trust, help with any other health related enquiry and an opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
  • Help you to clarify your problems and look at the options available to resolve them.
  • Give you details of places where further health and information can be obtained.
  • Provide information about the NHS complaints procedure and advice about making a formal complaint if this is necessary.
  • Advise you about the role of independent advocacy services and how to contact them.
  • PALS also help the Trust to improve services by listening to what matters to patients, their relatives and carers and making changes when appropriate.

PALS cannot provide advocacy, counselling, diagnosis or medical advice. However, they can speak on your behalf to the people that can provide these services. PALS are able to contact clinical staff and departments in order to obtain information or investigate your concerns and then relay this information back to you verbally. 

PALS do not provide detailed written responses to concerns or complaints.  If you want a detailed written response, you will need to contact the Complaints Department, which is based at NMGH (if you are making a complaint on behalf of someone else their written consent will be required before an investigation is commenced).  The complaints department can be contacted on 0161 604 5800 or alternatively please see complaints section below. 

Call: 0161 604 5897 between 09.30 hours and 16.30 hours Monday to Friday or drop into one of the PALS offices on each hospital site.

Or you can write to:
The Northern Care Alliance,
PALS Department,
IM&T Building,
North Manchester General Hospital,
Delaunays Road,
M8 5RB

PALS office locations

These are located in the following places:

  • The Royal Oldham Hospital - The PALS Office is located at the Main Entrance to the hospital.
  • Fairfield General Hospital - The PALS Office is located at the Main Entrance to the hospital.
  • Rochdale Infirmary - The PALS Office is located in the out-patient department
  • Salford Royal – Out-patient’s Department, Turnberg Building

Dealing with Complaints

The Northern Care Alliance is committed to providing a service which is patient centred and delivers excellent care. Unfortunately, sometimes things can go wrong with your care, and on these occasions we welcome your suggestions on how we can improve services and provide care which better reflects your needs. The NCA will not discriminate against any individual as a result of making a complaint.

Who can complain?

A complainant can be a person affected or likely to be affected by the actions or decisions of an NHS organisation, providing NHS services or treatments.  A complaint can also be made on behalf of a patient once their written consent has been obtained.

As many problems can be resolved by talking things over we would suggest that in the first instance you tell the person in charge of the ward or department or the Consultant responsible for your care of your worry or problem. If they can help they will be happy to do so.

If you feel you would prefer to speak to someone who is separate from the ward or department then please contact the PALS. They offer confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters to patients, their families and their carers. They provide advice over the telephone but do not provide detailed written responses (these are handled by the Complaints department). 

How to contact the Complaints Department? 

Telephone: 0161 604 5800 
In writing: The Northern Care Alliance Complaints Department, IM&T Building, North Manchester General Hospital, Delaunays Road, Crumpsall, Manchester M8 5RB 

Anyone can make a complaint about the NHS services or treatment they have received. If you are making a complaint on the behalf of someone else, written consent may be needed.

Accessibility tools

Return to header