The Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology sits with the Directorate of General Medicine at Fairfield General Hospital and provides specialist services across our hospital sites and community setting for the people in the North East sector of Greater Manchester.
There is an established Diabetes and Endocrinology service with the consultants working closely together and meeting regularly with the aim of unifying working practices, protocols, ensuring clinical governance and developing the acute and community service strategy.
Bury Care Organisation provides a dedicated diabetes services, with an array of specialist clinics, supported by specialist nurses, specialist dietitians and podiatrists. There is effective co-operative working among the diabetes services and strong links exist between the acute hospitals and all local CCGs with implementation groups for the Diabetes NSF and an overarching diabetes network within the North East Sector of Manchester.
The Northern Care Alliance provides a community diabetes service across the North East Sector via Bury & Heywood, Middleton, and Rochdale Integrated Community Diabetes Service (ICDS).
Bury Care Organisations offers an Endocrine service, actively supported by the laboratory and radiology department. Specialist Endocrine services are available at Oldham with general endocrine clinics delivered at Fairfield General Hospital and are supported by Endocrine Specialist nurses.
- Young people’s clinics (MDT)
- Transition joint clinics with the paediatricians (MDT)
- Dedicated Diabetes Foot Services, with podiatric and vascular nurse/consultant input, with links to the University of Salford Podiatry school (MDT)
- Joint ante-natal clinics with support from the diabetes specialist midwife (MDT)
- Provision of DAFNE (accredited structured education for people with type 1 diabetes) – face to face & DAFNE Digital
- Provision of insulin pump services with dedicated pump clinics
- Endocrine clinics
- Complex diabetes clinics both in hospital and community including flash glucose technology (MDT)
- Endocrine testing is carried out in the Programmed Investigation Unit (PIU) at Rochdale
Expect a team that’s looking forward to working with you, has an open mind, open ears and professional expertise. Where possible, it’s helpful if patients can bring a copy of current medication to all appointments and any relevant follow-up information sent to them.
Community Diabetes and Endocrine