Everyone's experience of labour and birth is different. For some the way that they feel about their birth experience can affect the way that they feel about themselves, their baby, their partner, family and even future pregnancies can sometimes be affected by their birth experience.
Many women, birthing people and their families have unanswered questions about their experience of labour and birth. For some labour and birth may not have been what they expected or planned. It is not always easy to take in all the information given at the time or just after birth and sometimes events can be difficult to understand. Often it can be difficult to understand what happened without information to fill in the gap.
Birth Reflections offers:
- One to one discussion with an experienced midwife
- A private and open discussion where you have the opportunity to ask questions
- The opportunity to review your maternity records
The aims of the service:
- To help you to explore and understand your experience of labour and birth.
- To support you to reflect and discuss any issues that your birth experience may have highlighted.
- To explore the reasons why certain decisions were made during labour and birth
A Birth Reflections appointment can be arranged soon after the birth of your baby, but we would advise that your appointment does not take place until at least six weeks after the birth. There is no time limit for access to the Birth Reflections service and you can contact us at any time. Please ask your midwife, GP or Health Visitor if you need help to access more information about these services.
This is not a complaints or counselling service.