Postnatal Care following your baby's birth

Postnatal care refers to the period after your baby is born. Our midwives and maternity support team are here to advise and support you to ensure that you and your baby get off to the best possible start.

Postnatal Ward 

Our Postnatal Ward is located on the first floor of The Royal Oldham Hospital. 

Going home - When will I go home following the birth of my baby? 

The length of time between your delivery and discharge home will be dependent on the health and wellbeing of you and your baby, but there is lots of support available in hospital and once you go home. After you leave hospital, you will be cared for by the community midwifery team. If you gave birth at home, you will continue to be supported by the community midwifery team. 

What happens if my baby is unwell? 

If you or your baby are unwell after you have given birth, you may need to stay on the unit for a little longer. If your baby is poorly, we may need to discuss arrangements for your baby to receive transitional care or for them to stay in our special baby unit/ NICU until they are well enough to go home. 

Tests and checks for your baby

On day 5 to 8 after the birth, you'll be offered two screening tests for your baby:

  • newborn hearing screening test
  • blood spot (heel prick) test

If your baby is in special care, these tests will be done there. If your baby is at home, the tests will be done at your home by the community midwife team.

In the early days, the midwife will check your baby for signs of jaundice, infection of the umbilical cord or eyes and thrush in the mouth.

Follow up care and appointments 

If you've given birth in hospital or a midwife led unit and you and your baby are well, you'll probably be able to go home 6 to 24 hours after your baby is born.

Midwives will agree a plan with you for visits at home or at a children's centre until your baby is at least 10 days old. This is to check that you and your baby are well, and support you in these first few days.

We will let your heath visitor know that you have had your baby so they can arrange to visit you. 

Contact Us

If you or your family need any advice or information after the birth of your baby, you can get in touch with the Postnatal Team by calling us on 0161 627 8181. 

Infant Feeding Leads - Breastfeeding Advice 

The Northern Care Alliance has Infant feeding leads who are available to provide support to women who wish to breastfeed their baby.

Wendy Blackwood - Royal Oldham Hospital maternity, Neonatal Unit and Paediatric Services and other clinical areas including Rochdale Infirmary and Fairfield General Hospital 


Pauline Mulhall - Salford Health Visitor and Community Services and Salford Royal Hospital Infant Feeding Lead 


Joanne Mayall - Oldham Health Visitor & Community Services 


Vicky Thomas - Bury Health Visitor & Community Services


Amanda Hadlow - Rochdale Health Visitor & Community services


Visit our Feeding Your Baby page for more information and advice on feeding your baby. 

Post Birth Contraception 

It is safe for you to have sex as soon as you’re ready to after giving birth. You can get pregnant from 3 weeks (21 days) after giving birth, so it’s important to make plans for post birth contraception if you don’t want to get pregnant again. Speak to your GP, midwife or family planning nurse to arrange contraception before you start having sex again.

Registering your baby’s birth

All births in England, Wales and Northern Ireland must be registered within 42 days of the child being born. You should do this at the local register office for the area where the baby was born or at the hospital before the mother leaves.

Information you need when registering a birth

When registering the birth, you should know:

  • place and date of the birth
  • name, surname and sex of the baby
  • parents’ names, surnames and address
  • places and dates of parents’ birth
  • date of parents’ marriage or civil partnership
  • parents’ jobs
  • mother’s maiden surname

You might not need to give all of this information, depending on who is registering the birth.

What you should take

You should take at least one form of identification when you go to the register office.

You can use:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • deed poll
  • driving licence
  • proof of address (for example, a utility bill)
  • Council Tax bill
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate

You should also take your child’s personal child health record or ‘red book’ as some registrars may ask to see it.

For more information about registering a birth, visit the website.

Maternity Services

View all

Accessibility tools

Return to header