Paediatric Speech and Language Therapy - Bury Community

Bury Paediatric Speech and Language Therapy can help to support your child’s speech, language and communication development, working with you as their parent or guardian. 

We offer assessment and treatment for children aged 0-18 years with speech, language and/or communication difficulties, or with feeding difficulties, with a Bury GP. 

We currently offer services at the following locations across Bury: 

  • Child Development Centre at Fairfield General Hospital 

  • Townside Primary Care Centre 

  • Bury Living Well Centre 

  • Radcliffe Primary Care Centre 

  • Prestwich Walk in Centre 

  • Ramsbottom Health Centre 

What is Speech and Language Therapy?  

Speech and Language Therapy (SLT) is a specialist service that can help support your child’s speech, language and communication development, or feeding and swallowing needs, by working with you as their parents or guardian.  

SLT does not provide an instant fix for a child’s difficulty, but helps to find ways of supporting development and positive change. We will provide you with activities and strategies to do at home in between appointments.  

SLT is more successful when these are carried out regularly with an adult at home or in school. We offer specialist information and advice to give you the skills and confidence to successfully support your child’s needs for the future. 

Once your child’s request for assessment has been accepted, you will be added to the waiting list and a letter will be sent within 18 weeks with the date, time and location of your initial appointment. Your child will then be offered an initial assessment appointment which will last between 30 minutes and an hour. Depending on your child’s needs this appointment may take place face to face in clinic or via a video call. The Speech and Language Therapist will assess your child’s speech, language and communication skills using a range of toys and pictures and through observation. They will discuss their findings with you along with your own views of your child’s abilities and difficulties. These will be used to decide the next steps, which could include onward referral or discharge as appropriate. 

An assessment can be requested by parents/guardians or professionals working with a child.  As much information should be provided on the appropriate ‘Request for Assessment’ form as possible.

Accessibility tools

Return to header